Det här är jag

Jag heter Elias Hemmilä och min ambition är inte att skriva ett blogginlägg i veckan. Jag skriver när jag känner för det. Jag kommer högst troligen skriva företrädesvis om anti-rasism, feminism, identitets- och fördelningspolitik och miljön. Och så fotboll och hockey.

tisdag 13 maj 2014

Afrikayeeeee

Africa unite. Been listening to Ethiopian music at the office the past couple of weeks. I've known of some, however my experience has been quite limited to mostly ethio-jazz, e.g. Mulatu Astatke. Apart from the Ethiopian folk-type-of-music my dad always blasted on Sundays while cleaning the apartment. Some 20 years ago. Today I got Spotify as my ally and Spotify Radio as my weapon. And I fucking love it.

As I wrote it's been some 20 years since I last frequently heard Ethiopian music. It's such a shame that it's been so long. But now that it's back I can swear it's back for good. Simply because it's so touching, so poetic, so beautiful. Even though I don't understand a single word of what Teddy Afro or some other Ethiopian artist is singing about, it touches me. It's a weird love story. Cause, even though I spoke some Amharic whilst growing up, it's never been fluent (it might have been fluent for a 5-year-old's standards, but...) which means I've never really understood what they're getting at. But, I would like to think that my cultural background has always been pervious for the tunes, the rhythm and lyrics. It just speaks to me.

And it really triggers that side inside of me, that sometimes transforms into maddening shrouds, that cries out: "get back to your roots". Just fucking go there. Experience it all. If I can't live that life, the least I can do is to at least feel it and grasp it. It's a feeling not many people feel. When you long for something, miss something, that you've actually never had.

Like a seed that was planted inside of me as a kid. The music, the culture, the language, the warmth and the passion, the pride and the struggle. Red, yellow and green.

I hope I see you soon. Oh, and it might just be sooner than you think.

Until then - one love.

Spotify favorites from Teddy Afro (click for Spotify link)
Lame Bora
Hilm Aydegemem
O Africaye



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar